Mission and History
The mission of Seward House Museum is to interpret the accomplishments and the democratic and social values of William H. and Frances A. Seward and their immediate descendants and to engage a diverse public in connecting the past with the present.
In 1951 William Henry Seward III bequeathed the family home in Auburn, NY to the Fred L. Emerson Foundation to serve as living memorial to his famous father and grandfather. After a few years of careful preparation, the Seward House opened to the public in 1955, was designated a National Historic Landmark in 1964, and now displays one of the most original collections of any historic home in America. In 2008 the museum established itself as its own independent 501-C3 not for profit museum.